The War Games
|Story Code: ZZ / Season 6||UK Airdate: 19 Apr to 21 Jun 1969|
|Doctor: Patrick Troughton||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|Hong Kong||Mar 71||b/w|
- This is the second of only two instances in which Australia is not the first to screen a Troughton story. (See also The Space Pirates.)
- Hong Kong presumably sent its films to Singapore soon after transmission, as that was the fate of the RTV prints of The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear.
- Clips from episode 10 appeared in the 5 November 1973 edition of Blue Peter.
- The ABC in Australia returned its prints to the BBC on 4 June 1975.
- BBC Enterprises held prints of parts 4, 7, 9 and 10 in 1976, and the Film Library had parts 2, 5, 8 and 9 in late 1977. That there were two copies of part 9 suggests that each set of four came from different overseas countries (one set may be from Australia, the other from Singapore or Gibraltar).
- If those three countries had all returned their prints by late 1975, some of them may have made up the set that was sent to Zambia by early 1976.
- 16mm b/w prints of episodes 1 and 2 were found in Taiwan in 2013 (see Taiwan Prints for more). These 2 episodes may belong to the set (parts 4,7,9,10) held by Enterprises, possibly from Gibraltar.
- See also the Troughton Junkings page.
- The serial was reissued by the BBC in 1985, and sold for the first time to:
|United States||from Feb 86||b/w|
|New Zealand||Sep 00||b/w|
- For the US screenings, The War Games was also edited into a two-part omnibus "movie" edition - with episodes one to five featured as "Part One", and episodes six to ten as "Part Two". A special "To be continued....." caption was overlaid onto the closing moments of episode five / Part One.
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: The War Games
- Episode 1: The Doctor battles aliens who have gathered soldiers from various periods of history in an attempt to take over the galaxy.
- Episode 2:
- Episode 3:
- Episode 4:
- Compilation 1/2: The Doctor battles aliens who have gathered soldiers from various periods of history in an attempt to take over the galaxy.
- Compilation 2/2: