|Story Code: NNN / Season 9||UK Airdate: 8 Apr to 13 May 1972|
|Doctor: Jon Pertwee||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|United States||Nov 72||NTSC|
|Guam||72 or 73||NTSC|
|Hong Kong||Aug 73||b/w|
|Saudi Arabia||Jul 78?||b/w|
- The story may have been dubbed into Arabic.
- It was not sold anywhere in its original PAL format. The PAL tapes for eps 1 and 2 had been wiped by the end of 1973.
- The NTSC tapes were returned from Canada by April 1981.
- The serial was reissued to the United States in mid-1983, as part of a package of 14 full colour Jon Pertwee stories.
- It was released again in early 1985, as part of a package of all 24 Jon Pertwee stories, and sold to the United States, as a NTSC to PAL conversion in Australia (in Jun 86, for the first time in colour), and later again to Canada.
- It also aired for the first time in:
|New Zealand||Dec 85||N/PC|
US TV Guide descriptions (1970s Pertwees)
Title: The Mutants
- Episode 1: A madman's at work on the planet Solos. Result: mutations among the inhabitants.
- Episode 2: The Marshall's (sic) got Jo and the ransom is high—a valuable box entrusted to Dr. Who.
- Episode 3: The treacherous Marshall (sic) sets a cunning trap for Dr. Who.
- Episode 4: A sky full of trouble from Dr. Who and the Solonians. Note: The San Francisco ed. says "Sobnians"
- Episode 5: The Marshal has a nuclear trick up his sleeve.
- Episode 6: Comeuppance-time for The Marshal: the Solonians find strength through unity—and a super-serum.
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: The Mutants
- Episode 1: Operating from Skybase One, the Marshal is turning inhabitants of the planet Solos into "The Mutants."
- Episode 2: The ransom demanded for Jo is a box entrusted to Dr. Who by the Time Lords.
- Episode 3: Dr. Who delivers the ransom to an abandoned mine.
- Episode 4: The Marshal speeds up his experiments in Solos' atmosphere.
- Episode 5: Rocket bombardment threatens to turn Solos into a desert.
- Episode 6: "The Mutants" overrun Skybase One and the Doctor.
- Compilation: Operating from Skybase One, the Marshal is turning inhabitants of the planet Solos into "The Mutants."