The Keys of Marinus
|Story Code: E / Season 1||UK Airdate: 11 Apr to 16 May 1964|
|Doctor: William Hartnell||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|Rhodesia / Zimbabwe||Feb 66||b/w|
|Trinidad & Tobago||Mar 66||b/w|
|Hong Kong||Oct 66||b/w|
|Sierra Leone||Aug 67||b/w|
|Costa Rica||Sep 71||b/w|
- The BBC sold the first five serials / 26 episodes as a package. The fact that this serial does not end with a link to the next story, The Aztecs, was probably deliberate, so should there be any country that did not purchase any further episodes -- such as was ultimately the case with Canada, Bermuda and Ghana -- the series would not end on an unresolved cliffhanger...
- Cyprus sent its prints to Hong Kong.
- 16mm film prints of two episodes were found in Australia (found prior to 2009), presumably these were the original broadcast prints that were disposed of after their final transmission by the ABC in December 1965. (Based on the summary of the restoration undertaken for the 2009 DVD release, at least one of the two episodes was episode 4 -- see The Restoration Team's Website.)
- A 16mm b/w print of episode 6 was found in Taiwan in 2013 (see Taiwan Prints for more).
- See Hartnell Junkings
US TV Guide descriptions (1960s Hartnells on CBC)
- Episode 1: Dr. Who and his passengers land on the planet Marinus.
- Episode 2: In their search for the missing keys to the machine that controls the planet Marinus, Dr. Who and his friends discover a strange city.
- Episode 3: A biologist's experiments upset the balance of nature.
- Episode 4: Dr. Who and his friends are tricked into giving up their wrist dials, their only means of escape from the planet.
- Episode 5: Ian is accused of murder.
- Episode 6: Ian is sentenced to death for a murder he did not commit.
- The serial was reissued by the BBC in late 1985, and sold to:
|United States||from Sep 85||b/w|
|New Zealand||Jun 00||b/w|
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: The Keys of Marinus
- Episode 1: The Doctor searches for the missing keys to the machine that controls an island on the planet Marinus.
- Episode 2:
- Episode 3:
- Episode 4:
- Episode 5:
- Episode 6:
- Compilation: The Doctor searches for the missing keys to the machine that controls an island on the planet Marinus.