The Hand of Fear
|Story Code: 4N / Season 14||UK Airdate: 2 Oct to 23 Oct 1976|
|Doctor: Tom Baker||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|United Arab Emirates||Nov 77?||PAL|
|United States||Jun 78 (test)||NTSC|
|United States*||Nov 78||NTSC|
|Chile||c May 79||NTSC|
|New Zealand||Aug 79||PAL|
|Costa Rica||Feb 80||NTSC|
|Puerto Rico||Apr 80?||NTSC|
|Hong Kong||Aug 80||PAL|
- This story was dubbed into Spanish.
- This story was chosen by Time Life Television to "test" the US market for Doctor Who; the serial aired in an omnibus "movie" format in New York in June 1978 (and later in West Palm Beach). With a positive response, Time Life commenced their country-wide promotion of the new series...
- (*) The other US date is based on the airdates for WTEV, which was the first US station to screen the initial package of 98 Tom Baker episodes.
- It was reported in DWM issue #114 (July 1986) that the serial aired in Canada as a compilation called "Eldrad Must Live". This cannot be, since the serial only ever aired episodically in Canada, never as an omnibus. If the anecdote is in any way true, however, it may have been an omnibus that screened on one of the US PBS stations in a state that bordered with Canada. Also, it's doubtful the story would have a brand new opening sequence showing the alternative title; if anything, the other title was only published in a listings magazine rather than something seen on screen. (See also The Sontaran Experiment and The Sun Makers.)
- The story was reissued in the mid-1980s, during the THIRD WAVE of sales.
|Saudi Arabia||late 85?||NTSC|
|Armed Forces Network||Jun 86||NTSC|
|Barbados/Saint Lucia||Sep 86||NTSC|
|Trinidad & Tobago||Oct 86||NTSC|
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: Hand of Fear
- Part 1: A fossilized hand is discovered in a quarry explosion.
- Part 2: Entranced by the hand, Sarah carries it to a nuclear reactor.
- Part 3: Using nuclear power, the hand regenerates itself into a beautiful woman.
- Part 4: The Doctor returns Eldrad to her planet.
- Compilation: A fossilized hand is discovered in a quarry explosion.