The Ark in Space
|Story Code: 4C / Season 12||UK Airdate: 25 Jan to 15 Feb 1975|
|Doctor: Tom Baker||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|United Arab Emirates||76?||PAL|
|Hong Kong||Jan 77||PAL|
|New Zealand||Mar 78||PAL|
|United States*||Sep 78||NTSC|
|Chile||c May 79||NTSC|
|Puerto Rico||Nov 79?||NTSC|
|Costa Rica||Feb 80||NTSC|
- (*) The US date is based on the airdates for WTEV, which was the first US station to screen the initial package of 98 Tom Baker episodes.
- This story was dubbed into Spanish, Arabic, Italian, French and Galician.
- This serial was often shown after The Sontaran Experiment, the stories being screened in production code order.
- The story was reissued in the mid-1980s, during the THIRD WAVE of sales.
|Sri Lanka||Jun 84?||PAL|
|Barbados/Saint Lucia||Dec 85||NTSC|
|Trinidad & Tobago||Jan 86||NTSC|
- This is by far the biggest selling Doctor Who story of all, reaching over 40 countries around the world (with Revenge of the Cybermen a close second).
- For reasons that are unclear, The Ark in Space was not part of the package sold to the American Armed Forces Network in 1986.
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: Ark in Space
- Episode 1: Dr. Who discovers a sinister interference with earthlings in a state of suspended animation.
- Episode 2: The earthlings exhibit some non-human characteristics when they awake.
- Episode 3: Dr. Who must defeat the Wirrn to save the human race.
- Episode 4: The Doctor and his friends gamble everything to save the human race.
- Compilation: Dr. Who discovers a sinister interference with earthlings in a state of suspended animation.