The Ambassadors of Death
|Story Code: CCC / Season 7||UK Airdate: 21 Mar to 2 May 1970|
|Doctor: Jon Pertwee||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|Hong Kong||Jan 72||b/w|
|United States||Aug 72||NTSC|
|Saudi Arabia||Jan 78||b/w|
- The story was dubbed into Arabic.
- It was not sold anywhere in its original PAL format. The tapes had been wiped by 1973.
- It was by using an off-air recording taken off a November 1977 or February 1978 broadcast in Buffalo, New York, that enabled the BBC to attempt to restore the serial to full colour.
- The ABC in Australia returned its prints to the BBC in June 1975. These may have then been sent to Bangladesh.
- A film collector acquired prints of five episodes in the mid-1970s. These may have been the prints returned from Gibraltar.
- 16mm b/w prints of episodes 1 and 3 were found in Taiwan in 2013 (see Taiwan Prints for more). Since five assorted parts were found in private hands, could the Taiwan prints of 1 and 3 be the remaining two from that set (from Gibraltar)?
- A damaged print of an episode was found in an undisclosed foreign location.
- It was released again in early 1985, as part of a package of all 24 Jon Pertwee stories, and sold to in black and white only to the United States.
- It was also sold to:
|New Zealand||Jun 85||b/w|
US TV Guide descriptions (1970s Pertwees)
Title: Ambassadors of Death
- Episode 1: Two rockets fail to return from Mars.
- Episode 2: A rescue ship returns to Earth—without its co-pilots.
- Episode 3: Dr. Who suspects the astronauts.
- Episode 4: A journey to Mars.
- Episode 5: Dr. Who finds the missing astronauts' Space Probe.
- Episode 6: Dr. Who finds the astronauts aboard the alien space ship.
- Episode 7: A turncoat kidnaps the ambassadors in an attempt to start an interplanetary war.
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: Ambassadors of Death
- Episode 1: A group of British astronauts returns from a trip to Mars with a problem—their touch means certain death. To solve the mystery, the Doctor boards and alien spaceship.
- Episode 2: The Recovery 7 rocket returns safely to Earth—without a crew.
- Episode 3: The Doctor suspects that the kidnapped astronauts are aliens.
- Episode 4: The decoded message provides instructions for building a machine.
- Episode 5: The Doctor volunteers for the space launch and finds the Mars Probe Seven empty.
- Episode 6: The Doctor finds the missing astronauts aboard the alien spaceship.
- Episode 7: The Doctor must stop General Carrington before his actions destroy the Earth.
- Compilation: A group of British astronauts returns from a trip to Mars with a problem—their touch means certain death. To solve the mystery, the Doctor boards and alien spaceship.