Planet of the Daleks
|Story Code: SSS / Season 10||UK Airdate: 7 Apr to 12 May 1973|
|Doctor: Jon Pertwee||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|Hong Kong||Jul 74||b/w|
|United Arab Emirates||75||PAL|
|Saudi Arabia||Feb 78||b/w|
- The story may have been dubbed into Arabic.
- The BBC wiped the colour PAL tape of part three certainly before the colour Pertwees were offered to New Zealand in late 1974 but presumably after the episodes had been supplied to the United Arab Emirates, where the complete serial is believed to have aired all in colour. (Airdates for the UAE are not known, but the clearances for the sale of the other season 10 serials to "Dubai" were paid in May 1975; but the offer and sale of the serial could have been done years earlier.)
- The serial was not sold to New Zealand in 1974/75 because it no longer existed in full colour.
- The UAE returned their tapes of parts four, five and six in 1991.
- The serial was released again in early 1985, as part of a package of all 24 Jon Pertwee stories, and sold to Australia (in Aug 86, for the first time in colour), and also to:
|United States||from Mar 85||NTSC|
|New Zealand||May 86||PAL & b/w|
|Canada||1990s?||NTSC & b/w?|
- In New Zealand and Australia, part three was supplied and aired in black and white.
- For the Canadian screenings, the black and white third episode wasn't used, and instead a "new" colour episode three was created by editing together the last 10 minutes of part two and the first 15 minutes of part four.
- For the 1985 US compilation screenings, a special edit was provided that cut 'around' the missing colour episode. Stations airing the episodic version received one of two packages of five episodes: either episodes 1-5 (with part 3 in black & white) or episodes 1-2, 4-6 (with parts 4-6 renumbered 3-5). It wasn't until 1993 that all six episodes were available.
- A full account of the edits made for the US edition of Planet of the Daleks can be found HERE
- When the serial was broadcast on Australia's Sci-Fi channel in late 2012, the restored colour version aired on television for the first time.
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: Planet of the Daleks
- Episode 1: The Tardis lands on a strange planet and the Doctor is taken gravely ill.
- Episode 2: Doctor Who and the Thals search for Jo, who has fallen victim to a deadly disease
- Episode 3: (not originally syndicated)
- Episode 4: Doctor Who and the Thals are trapped in the Dalek headquarters.
- Episode 5: Doctor Who, Jo and the Thals escape into the jungle where they are pursued by Dalek patrols.
- Episode 6: Doctor Who and the Thals are discovered when they try to infiltrate Dalek headquarters.
- Compilation: The Doctor battles the Daleks after learning they were behind The Master's attempts to bring about interplanetary war.