Iowa Public Television
|Variety, 16 August 1978||IPBN was one of the first stations to purchase the Tom Baker stories|
|Iowa Public Television|
|Network: PBS||Channel(s): various|
|First airing: 1974||Last airing:|
== AIRDATES ==
- 6 April 1974: The Jon Pertwee stories begin airing, Saturdays at 7:00pm on the Iowa Educational Broadcasting Network. After 26 weeks, the series goes off the air for a year and a half.
- 10 June 1976: Jon Pertwee returns, now Thursdays at 6pm. After moving to 5pm, the series takes another long break.
- 29 July 1976: The stations are renamed Iowa Public Broadcasting Network.
- 2 November 1977: Doctor Who returns, now Wednesdays at 5pm.
- 2 January 1978: One run of Jon Pertwee is stripped at 10pm.
- 11 April 1978: Both runs end.
- 1978: IPBN was the last US market to purchase the initial package of 13 Jon Pertwee stories, which was circa July 1978. (BBC documentation records this sale as being to "KDIN".)
- 2 October 1978: The Tom Baker stories commence at 10pm.
- 2 March 1979: The series goes off the air again.
- 1982: The network is renamed Iowa Public Television.
- 5 October 1984: IPT airs Doctor Who in the unique Friday-Sunday slot.
- late 1985: Tom Baker returns with two episodes each Friday night.
- 10 June 1986: The timeslot changes to Sundays through Friday nights. Several stories are skipped.
- 10 October 1986: IPT switches to compilations, Friday nights at 11:00.
- 14 April 1987: William Hartnell premieres.
- 1 August 1987: The travelling Doctor Who USA Tour with Janet Fielding visits Iowa Public Television.
- 13 October 1989: Episodes now air out of order.
- 24 November 1989: Dalek stories air for eleven weeks.
- 12 March 1993: The Tomb of the Cybermen airs.
- September 1994: The network discontinued its cycle of re-runs, with the last story to air being Survival in September. Fans were, however, able to get a reprieve by raising funds through a pledge drive. At the time, IPTV was one of the few markets in the US still screening non-stop re-runs of the omnibus editions, from An Unearthly Child onwards.
- By 1998, IPTV was one of only five markets in the US still screening the series. During its broadcast history, IPTV would show often one episode multiple nights a week, one episode per week, omnibus versions every Friday night, then back to one episode per week, etc.
- 3 March 2001: Remembrance of the Daleks airs as part of a National Doctor Who Night repeat.
- 11 March 2006: The Five Doctors airs.
- 2009: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy airs.
- 14 March 2015: IPTV became the first station in the world to broadcast The Web of Fear following its recovery in 2013. It aired as part of a pledge drive, starting on Saturday, 14 March, at 10:10pm, with the final episode airing at 12:20am on Sunday, 15 March. The still-missing third episode was covered by a special on-camera narration provided by Lars Pearson. IPTV to air The Web of Fear
- 12 March 2016: The Brain of Morbius airs.
Iowa Public Television Catalogue
This is IPTV's online resource for Classic Doctor Who: